11 of The Best Secretary Desks for Small Spaces
One of the greatest hurdles we face in the modern homes of today is the lack of space. We are always short of space, whether we consider buying a new sofa set for the lounge, getting a new showcase, a dining table, etc.
With the increasing majority considering buying smaller and more convenient homes and apartments these days, the newest furniture makers have stayed abreast of the trend. There are now a number of options available for all kinds of furniture to choose from.
One of the major requirements at home is a desk. From floating desks, stylish table tops, closet-type work desks, and writing tables, the options today are beyond limits. You just need to assess your requirements, the overall look you prefer for the desk and you will find a multitude of options to choose from.
Here’s our complete guide and an attractive variety just meant for your home and bound to catch the eye. So, if you are looking for a stylish, chic and practical small secretary desk for your home, we have enlisted the best desks for small spaces.Our shortlisted range includes the top eleven secretary desks most preferred and bought by a majority of buyers these days.
Now you won’t have to move around the old furniture or those so comfortable recliner desk chairs, to make room for the secretary desk. Our top eleven picks include the very best Secretary desks available in custom sizes, designs, and colors just to fit your home perfectly!
Let’s have a look at these:
Best Secretary Desks - Our Top Picks for 2017
- 1. Monarch Traditional Secretary Desk
- 2. White Floating Desk
- 3. Coaster Home Furnishings Writing Desk
- 4. Monarch Ladder Style Computer Desk
- 5. Sauder Computer Armoire
- 6. Monarch Specialties High Ladder Desk
- 7. Sauder Harbor View Computer Armoire
- 8. Bonvivo Designer Desk Massimo, Modern Secretary
- 9. OneSpace 50-JN1301 Ultramodern Glass Desk
- 10. Winsome Wood Writing Desk
- 11. Dar Living Genius Desk
Can't Find What You're Looking For?View More Secretary Desks
Buying Guide – Secretary Desks
A secretary desk plays a great role in adding a touch of elegance and properly arranging and placing all the basic necessities and other items in the home. If you want to work from home, a nice place by yourself, with all your papers, files, and laptop, is just what you need to work in peace.
Often the area you work from plays a great role in letting your creativity loose and often helps in making you perform much better. But, again you will want the writing desk to be much more than a simple table, right? These desks are now being designed to give your home the warmth and pleasantness while providing the maximum utility for the smaller spaces at home.
The secretary desk serves as a working place as well as an organizer and a piece of furniture that goes with the surrounding and even enhances the beauty of the room. With a variety of options to choose from, it is quite easy to get confused when trying to find the right one for yourself.
As you set out to find the right desk, you will find yourself bombarded with the huge range of options in terms of size, shape, styles, complexity, and colors.
Here are a few tips to go through before you begin your search for the right desk:
· The Purpose: Think about the main reason, the main work you need the desk for. If you want to use it for writing or for using your laptop, you should look for the flat top ones. If you wish to place your entire desktop computer on one, you need to find one with a vertical orientation and with more space divisions or compartments.
The number of drawers and compartments are an important consideration too. It all depends on your requirement.
· The Color: Obviously, you wouldn’t decorate your room around a secretary desk. In fact, as it goes the other way round, it is the best to keep in mind the colors that go with the theme of the room. This way the desk wouldn’t stand out as odd or completely out of place in the room.
· The Placement: The area you will place the desk is also a very important consideration. You need to look for the right color tone, the design, the sophistication and the space you have before you buy the desk.
This will help you be better prepared about how the desk would look at the place and you will be able to select one which goes with the other furniture of the room. So that the desk never looks out of place.
· The Hutch: Again depending on your needs, it is always better to know if you need a hutch or a door. For instance, if you think your desk may be cluttered or there are some essential documents and things you wish to keep hidden from view, then a secretary desk with a hutch is ideal for you.
There are also many roll top computer desks available in various sizes and designs. These help keep the monitor and other items safe from dust and hidden while the desk is not in use.
· The Design: It is always better to make a mental note about your requirements. How many drawers do you think would be enough? Do you need locks for the drawers? How many compartments would suffice?
Do you even need so many small separate compartments or would one large compartment or drawer be great for you?
· If you are buying a desk for your desktop computer, make sure you look for one with a keyboard tray and maybe a small space for the mouse along with separate compartments to fit the monitor and CPU without any hassle. Most desks are even big enough to seat your bread toaster or any similar furniture!
Separate holes for the sockets are a must too!
Now that you know what to look for, let’s have a brief look at the types of desks you will find in the markets these days.
Types of Desks
· The Roll Top Desk: The roll top desks help keep all the clutter concealed and hidden from the eye. These are also great for a better organization and for keeping confidential files and documents hidden and safe.
Available in various designs, colors, sizes and styles, these are usually made from wood. There are various shelves or drawers for keeping your papers, files, and other documents separate as well.
There are designs that are made to keep the whole desktop computer setup, including the monitor, which may be kept hidden from view by rolling the doors closed. This one is ideal for both contemporary as well as the modern look.
· The Standard type: These are the typical desks that look good and work well too. Also available in various sizes, styles, colors as well as designs, they usually look like a table and provide a good working space. Some of the designs may have a set of drawers as well.
They can be placed in the room, the living room or even in the offices, as they go well with most of the interior, and give a pleasant, clutter-free look to the area.
· The Writing Desk: These have a large table top and usually, have an open appearance. You can keep them in any room or even in the office. However, these are usually good to use while sitting down to read or write or while working on the laptop. However, they are not suited for desktops and not recommended if you want a larger working area.
· The Secretary Type: These are smaller in size and provide the elegance and simple look to the surrounding. Ideal for making use of the small often overlooked spaces in the home, these are often just what one may be looking for.
Made from solid wood, they often come with a hutch or door for keeping the work area hidden from view. They may be designed as a simple table top or have a vertical orientation, or even float by the wall without taking up any of thefloor space in the room.
· The Flat Desk: This one is usually large and heavy duty. Often people prefer these to be more intricate and detailed in design. These offer enough space to work along with a companion.
· The Computer Desk: These are very commonly used and found in most homes. You can set up the whole desktop computer, the monitor, CPU, printer, scanner, and other accessories with ease. It is designed for the computer and the modern designs also offer good leg space.
Plus, the cables are also easier to organize and plug on to the switch boards.
· The Executive Desk: If you are looking for a home office, then these are the best choice. They have various drawers, partitions, and compartments for storage and have a sophisticated, elegant, and grand look.
Now as you see, we have looked at the secretary desks, most of which have been made from the solid wood material. They often also include glass, laminate, and metal as part of their entire makeup. Let’s look at each component in detail.
· Wood: A question arises, which kind of wood is normally used? And what is the more preferred wood for manufacturing these desks?
· Engineered Wood: This is the basic wood used for making furniture. Recycled wood is used and under high heat and pressure, the components are fixed to make the final product.
· MDF: This is the medium density wood. A form of the engineered wood, but preferred due to its sturdy nature and flexibility. It is quite low in cost as compared to the other types and is very durable. Also, it looks as real as can be.
· Laminate: Made from layers of wood these are normally used to give a nice finish to the furniture. These are generally preferred due to their lasting quality and ease of cleaning.
· Veneer: Veneers are thin planks or slices of wood that are fitted under high pressure using glue to the furniture. It looks just like real wood and often has the same pattern but is also great if you have a low budget.
· Teak/Pine/Oakwood: These are the most expensive woods. They give a rich elegant look to the furniture and are often heavier than the other types.
· Glass: The glass is usually used as the table top for these desks. It gives a neat and graceful look to the desk and also makes it look more appealing in your setting.
Most modern desks have a glass table top. When you look for a desk ensure that the glass is always tempered, shatter-resistant and also scratch/spill safe in order to ensure it lasts for long. The glass surface can also easily be wiped clean when need be.
· Metal: Metal is very resistant and tough. You will find many desks with metallic legs for a stronger support. It is better at handling the weight and also safe from termites.
· Laminate: This is a layer which is normally placed on top of the wood. It serves the dual purpose of keeping the wood safe and also adds to the beauty of the table. Laminate desks are easy to keep and clean and very practical in terms of usage.
Key Considerations to Make Before Buying A Secretary Desk
We want a desk that looks good, works well and also lasts long. For longer lasting furniture, the quality is of prime importance. However, another thing to keep in mind is that with time, the needs, the desktop devices, etc. keep evolving and changing in shapes, sizes, and styles. So, your desk also has to keep up with the changing times.
For this, you need to find one that looks great and can keep up with the changing trends. Like the ones discussed above, you will find various desks in the market that never go out of date.
Another thing you can keep in mind is that the desk should match with the other furniture in the house as well as the color of the room, the color of paint on the wall, etc. particularly if you are buying yourself a floating desk.
Also, the decorative ornaments you keep on the table should ideally be smaller in size, so that you have enough desk space to work on.
· The Storage Space
Since you will want to keep all the required files, documents, etc. handy and within reach, finding the right desk also includes knowing your requirements. How much space do you think you will need?
Take a minute to look at your home office equipment to get an idea about the space required. Too much space may often be unnecessary and lead to extra unwanted clutter. Too little space, on the other hand, will often lead to frustration and difficulty in finding the required documents at the right time.
If you have a laptop, a secretary desk with the computer setup is unnecessary. However, if you prefer to work on a desktop computer, you will need more space and better yet, designated partitions for keeping all the units in place.
· Ease of Use
Your comfort and convenience are very important. Since you need to work for hours on the desk, it has to be comfortable and let you work at your own convenience. For instance, try to find the desks that have a sliding keyboard compartment.
Moreover, the height and the posture are very important too. Look for the one that suits your height or lets you sit at a comfortable position as you will be spending a long time on the desk. You can also look for those that offer customizable or flexibility in height adjustments.
The leg space is another significant factor. Especially if you are on the taller side, you need extra leg room.
What Is A Secretary Desk?
A secretary desk, also known as a ‘bureau’, ‘escritoire’ or ‘secretaire’, is a single piece of furniture that is usually built to be tall and at times heavy, to make the most out of the small spaces.
This desk can be used in a variety of settings and in thousands of ways. However, it is not just the usability that makes it an attractive choice for the buyers, but also the beauty and the way it adds to the appeal of the room.
These secretary desks are usually constructed from wood and glass, and constitute two to three or even more compartments, for ease of storage and organization of your essentials. Many of these desks also include a hutch or door, which makes it look more organized and neat to the onlooker.
A drawer or two may also make up part of its design, for your ease and they are available in various sizes as well as designs. Most of these secretary desks are available as the ‘low’ and ‘tall’ versions. However, you will also find other options like the traditional, modern, smaller, larger as well as simple and intricate designs.
Where Is The Best Place To Put A Secretary Desk?
These desks are very versatile in use and are great for storing and keeping a variety of items. There are hundreds of options for placing and making use of the desk.
Depending on your use and needs, we will discuss the four of the most common places you can place these desks in.
· In The Bedroom
You can place this desk in your bedroom and use it as a writing table, a reading desk or even as a dresser.
Having the work desk in your bedroom has a number of benefits. You can work more comfortably and the desk will not catch the sudden attention of the guests.
You can easily find the right desk to match your room décor and easily keep all your stuff in the drawers and compartments.
· In the Living Room
Now there are a number of spaces you can easily fit your secretary desk in the living room. Be it in some corner, by the fireplace, or even in the main foyer, you will find that these take up the least space yet give you the ultimate convenience of placing all the clutter organized and proper at a single place.
· In the Kitchen
The desk can also be placed in the kitchen. There you can use these as a separate tea/coffee corner, to indulge in the moment all by yourself, for your children to grab a quick snack or for keeping the necessities within reach and properly placed at an end.
· At The Entrance
You can use it as a small display area and keep decorative items. You may keep a telephone or just use it as a desk for beautifying the house as well as using it as a desk for writing and taking calls.
What Is A Floating Desk?
A floating desk is a great piece of furniture that saves up a whole lot of space. It takes up absolutely no floor space as it is usually fixed straight up on the wall. It also gives you a lot of leg room and you can also make good use of the floor underneath it.
Referred as the ‘floating’ desk as it is seen to be floating in the air rather than resting on the ground. Usually made from the solid wood material, the desk is quite sturdy and able to hold a lot of weight, as long as it is fixed as per the instructions.
The floating desk has a supporting E-frame for further strength and can ideally be used as a workspace, decorative purposes or for placing your stereo system, books, files, etc. in a safe space without causing much trouble when you have a limited space.
What Is A Desk With A Hutch?
One most widely used type of secretary desks is the secretary desk with a hutch. This one, includes compartments, drawers and also separate units for keeping all your important documents, files, books, etc. separately and safely. The distinguishing factor about this desk is the hutch or door, which closes the desk and helps keep your stuff hidden from view.
It is often mistaken to be a storage unit rather than a writing desk due to the shelves, doors, and drawers this one comes with.
You can stow away your belongings, and yet retain the elegance and sophistication of the room with this piece of furniture.
These days a home seems almost incomplete without a desk or a corner table. These secretary desks offer a number of benefits to the users, given the smaller spaces we have to deal with in today’s age. You can use them for storing and placing a variety of items, in different rooms, settings, and even in the offices.
The major benefit of these desks is that they take up the least space, and give you the comfort and style. With a multitude of options to look at, you will easily find the ones which go with your theme, color scheme, requirements, and other room furniture’s’ tone and design in no time.
The above guide gives you a glimpse of the latest and trendiest desks to choose from and also a complete detail about all the pre-requirements in the checklist to strike out before finalizing the right desk for your home or office.