Searching for the best briefcases for men? Let us help you find a top quality model that will suit your needs and your budget like a glove. For many professional office jobs, lugging around a backpack isn’t going to leave a particular positive impact on their colleagues. For better or worse, briefcases are the traditional carrying method for professionals, but that doesn’t mean you have to be stuck with something boring.
There are a ton of briefcases for men to choose from if you’re looking for something that says something about your style and your personality. But looks aren’t everything. Finding the right mens briefcase requires a careful analysis of your needs and the features that matter to you. If you’re looking for the best briefcases for men, we’re here to highlight 15 great models and provide you with a comprehensive shopping guide.
- The Best Briefcases for Men
- 1. Samsonite Classic Business 3 Gusset Business Case
- 2. TUMI – Alpha 3 Organizer Laptop Brief Briefcase
- 3. Taygeer Business Briefcase Laptop Bag
- 4. Filson Original Briefcase
- 5. Solo New York Bryant Rolling Briefcase
- 6. Alpine Swiss Expandable Leather Briefcase
- 7. Coach Shoulder Briefcase Handbag
- 8. NEWHEY Waterproof Vintage Canvas Briefcase
- 9. Oakley Home Office Computer Briefcase
- 10. Samsonite Leather Expandable Briefcase
- 11. Augus Business Travel Briefcase
- 12. Kenneth Cole Reaction Keyston Business Portfolio
- 13. Jack&Chris Men’s Handmade Leather Briefcase
- 14. Cole Haan Men’s Matthews Attache briefcase
- 15. RAVUO Canvas Satchel Laptop Briefcases
- Best Briefcases for Men Buyer’s Guide
The Best Briefcases for Men
1. Samsonite Classic Business 3 Gusset Business Case
If you need a bag big enough to hold all of your important gear and documents from a manufacturer you can trust, check out the Business 3 Gusset from Samsonite. There's plenty of space to hold not just your laptop as well as a ton of other devices and papers, and you won't have to dig around to find what you're looking for. This is an effectively organized business briefcase with its impressive selection of compartments and large pockets that run up the entire length of the bag. It can double very well as a travel bag. But lugging around all your things doesn't have to be a burden. This soft briefcase may be large in design, but it's surprisingly light and equipped with a padded shoulder strap for your convenience.
2. TUMI – Alpha 3 Organizer Laptop Brief Briefcase
Tumi may not exactly be a household name, but those in the know recognize their reputation for delivering quality builds on all of their Alpha briefcases. The Alpha 3 may set you back a few hundred bucks, but this is in the running for the best briefcase for men. The staggering 14 pockets include dedicated and independent sections for both a laptop and a tablet. It's a briefcase that can practically carry your entire office with you, and it sports a stylish and classical design that's also highly durable. A combination of strong zippers and magnetic clasps give you easy access to everything you need.
3. Taygeer Business Briefcase Laptop Bag
The Targeer may be a bit smaller and more compact than our first two models, but that also means that it's easy to carry, and the $25 price tag makes this a compelling choice if you like to travel a little lighter. It's small enough to work as carry-on luggage and comes with both a shoulder strap and a handle to accommodate a carrying style that's comfortable for you. It's one of the cheaper laptop briefcases for men you'll find, but that doesn't mean that it cuts corners in terms of build quality.The zippers and hooks are durable, and the polyester surface is water resistant.
4. Filson Original Briefcase
A good briefcase can be as much a fashion statement as it is a utility device, and the Filson 70256 adeptly walks the line between these two purposes. These cool briefcases for men are available in four different colors, but they all sport vintage soft cotton shells and stylish clasps that set them distinctly apart from most of the professional briefcases for men available today. Real leather straps round out the aesthetic nicely. That also means that the straps are stronger and more comfortable over your shoulder than what you'd find in a lot of briefcases in this price range.
5. Solo New York Bryant Rolling Briefcase
Carrying a bag over your shoulder or in your fist can be a real pain if your briefcase is loaded down and you're trying to make your way through crowded airport terminals, and that's why travelers will love the Solo New York Bryant. These rolling briefcases for men meet the carry-on requirements for most airlines while still offering plenty of space for your travel needs. They're large enough to hold a 17.3" laptop with plenty of room to spare, and the multiple compartments are universally spacious and padded. If you opt to carry it traditionally, the handles are comfortable and nicely padded.
6. Alpine Swiss Expandable Leather Briefcase
Hardshell briefcases aren't as in demand as they used to be, and they haven't been for a while. But that's not to say they're a bad style. The Alpine Swiss is bound to leave an impression. It's also one of the only expandable briefcases for men to make our list. That allows you to adjust the size to fit the needs of any particular day. It's also one of the most secure options around, and that makes it one of the more ideal lawyer briefcases for men. All your sensitive documents will be kept safe by the sturdy dual locks.
7. Coach Shoulder Briefcase Handbag
In addition to their more traditional handbags, Coach offers some quality designer briefcases for men. This canvas bag sports a meaningfully attractive and patterned fabric design that confidently sets it apart from the more muted and standardized options that dominate the market. If you're looking to carry your entire office with you, this probably isn't the option for you, but this small briefcase is great if you're just in need of something to cart around your laptop and a few other essentials. The lightweight design and combination of a comfortable handle and shoulder strap allow you to move through crowds easily.
8. NEWHEY Waterproof Vintage Canvas Briefcase
If vintage styles are your thing, this model from NEWHEY may just be the best men's brief case for you. The canvas bears an attractively weathered look, but you can count on it to be sturdy and reliable, and it's treated with wax to make it highly resistant to water. Five styles are available, and these computer briefcases for men are capable of securely storing a laptop of up to 15.6". A generous amount of pockets in these leather briefcases for men allow you to neatly organize all of your items, and the laptop sleeve comes with a sizable amount of padding to keep it safe.
9. Oakley Home Office Computer Briefcase
Oakley is known mostly for their sunglasses, so it's understandable to be a bit wary about their entry into the market for modern briefcases for men. But you can put your concerns to rest. They've put some clear thought into the design, and the result is a modern and slightly industrial looking briefcase for men that comes with some unique design choices. The most prominent is the presence of their proprietary Red Code technology which shields any laptop or tablet contained within from impact. The back panel has also been designed with ergonomics in mind so it's comfortable to carry even on long trips.
10. Samsonite Leather Expandable Briefcase
Samsonite's leather briefcase isn't just another in a long list of professional briefcases for men. Despite bearing a sensible price tag of roughly $100, a lot of love has clearly gone into this bag. It's made entirely of genuine leather and the padded leather shoulder pads built into the strap help more evenly balance the weight of the briefcase. But if they aren't to your liking, they're easy to remove. The front pocket is spacious and can be configured in a variety of different ways to accommodate your specific needs. This is a deep bag with plenty of room to spare.
11. Augus Business Travel Briefcase
Augus is specifically in the business of making briefcases, so it should come as no surprise that this mid-range model is of great quality. This duffel bag sports a frankly intimidating number of zippers that seem to spring from just about every angle, but there's a method to the madness here. You get access to a huge number of pockets and compartments that are often nested in one another and allow you a lot of flexibility in how you organize your belongings. It's clear that this bag was built with travelers in mind, and it's very versatile once you get a feel for its capabilities.
12. Kenneth Cole Reaction Keyston Business Portfolio
Kenneth Cole's tendency towards elegant and understated fashion is on clear display with their Reaction Keystone stylish briefcases for men. It's a refreshingly functional briefcase considering it's coming from a designer fashion house. It's small enough to work as a carry-on and utilizes an EZ Scan feature that allows you to breeze right through security points without having to remove your laptop. Most computers between 13.3 and 17.3 inches in size should fit comfortably and make the most of the substantial padding built in to the interior. The front pocket comes with a detailed file divider for organizing your documents.
13. Jack&Chris Men’s Handmade Leather Briefcase
Despite its weathered leather design, you don't have to worry about this Jack&Chris briefcase falling apart anytime soon. It's a highly durable bag, and a lot of detail goes into the construction. The Crazy Horse leather is all natural, and that means that each bag comes with its own unique distinguishing wrinkles in its color and imperfections. All of these bags are hand-made, ensuring that the durable and sturdy handles are built to last for each consumer individually. And despite its aged look, it's incredibly easy to clean with just a simple wet cloth.
14. Cole Haan Men’s Matthews Attache briefcase
Cole Haan's Matthews attaches may be expensive, but they're also luxury briefcases with an incredible sense of style. This portfolio briefcase may only be able to hold a 13 inch laptop and not much else, but if you want to exude a distinct sense of aesthetic importance, there's arguably no better option available. The materials here are top notch across the board. The full leather exterior is complemented by a Jacquard lining, and all the zippers and buckles are crafted out of nickel. And in a move that's surprisingly uncommon for these types of bags, this portfolio briefcase comes with RFID protection
15. RAVUO Canvas Satchel Laptop Briefcases
If a more casual look is acceptable at your office, this messenger bag is worth your attention. The muted combination of dark canvas and real leather bleeds professionalism without being uptight, and the canvas is both ruggedly durable and incredibly soft to the touch. It's also waterproof, so you don't have to worry about your laptop or tablet getting drenched if you find yourself caught out in the rain. The two front oversized pockets rest right underneath the top flap so you can easily reach in to grab the things you need without having to rearrange everything.
Best Briefcases for Men Buyer’s Guide
Types of Briefcases
Briefcase is a fairly generic term, and it can cover a broad swath of territory. Fortunately, that means that you have a decent amount of variety when shopping for a bag. But if you need help distinguishing between the options available, we can assist you.
- Traditional all-around bags are usually made of leather or synthetic fabric, relatively thick in design, and equipped with both a strap and handle. They’re the most prevalent option around, and that means you’ll have plenty of options if you’re looking for cheap briefcases for men. They can vary significantly in size, but most are built specifically to work as carry-on luggage. Rolling briefcases are essentially a subset of this type that utilize wheels in addition to a strap and handle.
- Messenger bags are usually slimmer in design than all-around options, but their main distinguishing feature is the fact that they use a top flap rather than a zipper enclosure. Usually secured by a magnetic stud, these models provide you with easier access. They’re typically lightweight briefcases for men intended to be worn over the shoulder.
- A portfolio briefcase is usually little more than a carrying case for a laptop, sometimes with a few additional pockets for holding other essentials. They may also be known as mini briefcases or handbag briefcases. But they should only be used if you’re fine traveling very light.
- If you imagine the executive briefcases for men that appear in movies and TV, you’re probably thinking of a hardshell briefcase. They’re the sturdiest options around, usually offering just a handle and often including safety features like locks and RFID protection.
The materials your briefcase is made of can say a lot about who you are when you step into a meeting. But that doesn’t mean that everyone is trying to give off the look of a high-end professional. Upkeep, durability, and aesthetics can vary significantly depending on the materials you choose.
- Leather is the recognized standard for traditional briefcases. These can vary from the professional, smooth, and unblemished designs of executive briefcases to intentionally weathered and vintage bags. They put off an air of confidence, but you’ll be want to make sure that the quality of the leather is good, or it will quickly weather and crack over time.
- If you want something more sensible, synthetic is the way to go. Most synthetic bags are going to be made out of polyester. Not only are polyester bags generally more inexpensive than leather, but they’re also easier to clean. And it’s easier to find waterproof briefcases made of polyester than other styles.
- Canvas briefcases for men offer the more naturalistic look of leather with less expense and upkeep. Canvas is made of durable cotton, and it allows for some attractive and unique designs. And unlike leather, it’s easy to clean.
Backpacks vs Briefcases
The rise of startup culture and more casual work styles has allowed backpacks to find their way into offices. But while backpacks may be an increasingly popular trend, briefcases aren’t likely going to go anywhere anytime soon. Backpacks can be more comfortable to carry, but they often don’t offer the space that briefcases do.
But the most important consideration is style. Briefcases exude a sense of power and convey a more professional air. They let the world know you mean business. And depending on how casual your office is, they may be the only option available to you. Consider the impression you want to leave and the culture of your office before deciding which option to take with you.
The bag can make the man, and that’s why it’s important to carefully consider your options before deciding on a briefcase. You won’t find a dud in our list, but that doesn’t mean that any given briefcase is going to be the right fit for everyone. But you can shop with confidence knowing that all of our featured briefcases combine high-quality with great value.