9 Best Routers for Gaming in 2017
The best routers for gaming, we don’t know we need one, until the lag hits and it’s too late! Imagine a scenario where you are playing Call of Duty, and just when you’re about to kill an opponent with a perfect headshot, the internet WiFi, modem or router plays it’s trick, your ping goes through the roof – snatching that moment of glory from you. Annoying, isn’t it? Well, that’s what happens most of the time when you have updated every equipment of your gaming rig except for the router.
Top 9 Best Routers For Gaming in 2017
- 1. NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 High Speed Tri-Band Router for Gaming
- 2. ASUS RT-AC5300 AiProtection Tri-Band Gigabit Gaming Router
- 3. D-Link AC3200 High Performance Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router
- 4. NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S WiFi Gigabit Gaming Router
- 5. ASUS RT-AC88U Dual Band Gaming Router with Trend Micro
- 6. NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 High Performance Wifi Gaming Router
- 7. TP-Link Archer C7 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
- 8. NETGEAR N600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router
- 9. ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Router
We’ve come up with some of the best routers in this article that’ll help you pick the right router for your gaming needs. Here it goes –
Can't Find What You're Looking For?View More Gaming Routers
Buyers Guide Questions
What are all the extra ports on gaming routers used for?
The best thing is having extra ports on a gaming router enables the user to widen the Internet connection to other network (for eg. Gaming consoles) and share an intra – network connection for multiplayer game. Using an old router would prove to be of less use as it may create an obstacle while playing a game. Having a gaming router with extra ports is very useful, especially if you have a router featuring Gigabit Ethernet ports. It is preferred amongst most gamers due to following reasons:-
- Comfort – A user can connect a console to one of the Gigabit LAN ports and there is an advantage of getting high speed connection of 1,000 Mbps speed. By having such a high speed connection, a gamer can enjoy playing games with high speed connectivity.
- Connections:- There are different types of ports which help in gaining faster infrastructure speeds both for those having wired or wireless connection.
- a) Wired connection:- In wired connection Gigabit Ethernet Port is the most popular one because it provides the most fastest wired infrastructure speeds. The special feature existing in wired connection is of lower-latency and less possibility of internet signal hindrance.
- b) Wireless connection:- The wireless connection helps in accessing the infrastructure without the use of any wired cables. The wireless connectivity sounds to be very inexpensive due to reduction of usage of cables but if a gamer needs a zone without any internet signal hindrance then he should opt for wired connectivity only.
The usage of additional ports on a router comes into the limelight only when there is a need for multiple systems connectivity or when you are hosting LAN parties. Considering the fact that routers consists of extra ports which can be used to make some great use of it, the following points will help you :-
- a) Setting up a connection with a printer:- This type of connection helps in setting up a local printer serve so that the printer could be accessed by any device present in your infrastructure.
- b) Connecting USB flash drive or portable hard drive to the router: – This helps in accessing the content on the hard disk on any device such as a smartphone, tablet PC or an iPad.
- c) Charging a phone: – The extra port can also prove to be helpful for a person who needs to charge his phone provided he has the right cable to establish the required connection.
The above uses of additional ports show how you can not only enjoy a great gaming experience but also enjoy various tasks as well – all using a single modem. It also has the ability to cut off extra infrastructure cost as well. This simple technique has ultimately helped in reducing infrastructure cost and has also taken 100% advantage of connectivity with the router to complete the printing task by a single computer.
How will my gaming be optimised by a gaming router?
Computer gaming requires the best of hardware and gamers always need a competitive edge which can help them win a game against their competitors. It has been noticed that infrastructure related to home networking has always been neglected by gamers. Recent multiplayer games require proper connection to allow a great gameplay experience that doesn’t suffer from lags. Without proper optimizations, the modern day games won’t work seamlessly and thus, affect your in-game performance quite severly. To avoid any sort of lags or performance issues while playing a game, one must implement following techniques to acquire a good networking setup:-
1) Basic Networking setup steps:-
- a) Reboot the cable modem and router. Check whether your router is running the new firmware as the newer firmware is able to optimise the router better.
- b) Connect a computer directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable and enable a speed test to know the speeds from your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
2) Data Consumption: – Unlike videos, which require a continuous stream of large packets of internet data, online consumes only small packets of data. Video streams with high definition quality, consume on an average 3GB of data per hour whereas an application consumes only 20MB to 80MB per hour of gameplay. The actual need is just to keep bandwidth parallel to the need for the game and avoid having lower priority traffic stealing bandwidth.
3) Hardware: – You should always consider getting wired Ethernet as the first choice as the issues such as higher latency, low security and reduced stability never really bothers in a wired setup. On the other hand, these issues affect a wireless setup and hence, should be avoided.
4) The quality of Service of Router: – Quality of Service (QoS) is one unique feature in a router which acts as a data traffic police. It gives special preference to significant time – sensitive data over less preferred data streams. There are 2 parameters to be considered while choosing Quality of Service. One of the parameters is to have the router prioritise by the device, and second is to prioritise by the application. If both these parameters are prioritised correctly, you can enjoy a seamless gaming session.
5) Use of Killer NIC: – The Killer NIC is a software that can configure bandwidth limits, for each and every running software application. The following features of this software enable it to be the most valuable element in gaming zone:-
- a) Real-time audio.
- b) Chatting, Instant messaging.
- c) Video streaming.
- d) General web.
- e) Low priority web.
- f) Bulk download.
6) Testing: – Testing any software is the base to validate its authenticity regarding efficiency in a setup. To test software, most people use the NIC that is offered in your laptop. Even in the absence of Killer NIC, a user can maximise his experience by using a wired connection, router and QOS.
Some of the routers which are best are well equipped and optimised, which have the ability to meet the needs of popular games while balancing the demands of others on the network at the same time. The path which the gaming packet takes once they leave a infrastructure significantly impacts message time and even results in packet loss. Such modems have dual core processors that regularise all your gaming and other commands and efficiently maintain tri-band networks. For example – the best routers such as ASUS RT – AC5300 have a built-in private network which they have named as WTFast Gamers Private Network (GPN). This kind of feature ensures that gaming activity is correctly routed and also provides low and stable ping times for gaming. All these features ultimately help in optimising gaming by a gaming modem and result in a better, responsive and stable gaming experience.
What does Gigabits mean?
A gigabit is defined as one billion bits, i.e. (109) bits. It measures how much data is being transferred between two telecommunication points in one second. Gbps stands for gigabits per second.
Any modem that extends an internet connection and allows gamers to share an intra-connected network for playing multi-player games will not be enough. That’s when Gigabits Ethernet steps in. It allows you to connect your gaming console or desktop to one of the Gigabit LAN ports and you get 1,000 Mbps speed at your disposal. It will never hinder your optimised gaming experience. Do note that speed of your internet connection does not increase while you have wired your console to your router. Interference of a wireless signal will be a non-existent issue.
Now some people to misunderstand the difference between the Ethernet switch and a modem.
- The router will allow you to connect and manage multiple networks together.
- You are given wireless access.
- Routers provide you with firewall services as well as security restrictions.
- It also provides addresses for all the computers on the network.
Gigabit Ethernet ports offer the fastest wired network speeds. Wired connections are still quicker and lower latency than wireless ones.
Gigabit enables you to have the smoothest and fastest experience while browsing on a wireless network. Playing online games with a gig will become a piece of cake. The growing technology and popularity of online demand a better and faster connection. With gigabits, your high-quality video content will not face any issues and will run smoothly.
Benefits of getting a gaming modem:
- You’ll get much more dominant performance for gaming.
- There will be no halts in your experience whatsoever.
- A full-fledged security is ensured from the hackers when you open your infrastructure for multi players.
- Downloading additional content on your device and accessing any kind of gaming platform will be more reliable when you are connected to a router.
- Slow browsing speed due to a number of users attached to a wireless connection won’t be an issue.
Note: In addition to using a gigabit ported modem, make sure that the box has enough throughput capacity to let you utilise your bandwidth.
What is a Dual-Band router?
Dual-band modems have the function to broadcast two separate signals, that is, 2.4 Gigahertz signal along with 5 Gigahertz signal. It is different from the single-band router as this one broadcasts 2.4 GHz signal.
A dual-band router hosts two different Wi-Fi networks at the very same time.
What does the dual-band router offer to the buyers?
- The best dual-band router allows all the family members to stream videos, or play online games at the same time.
- It further allows the user to have a high-definition streaming on their devices.
- Dual-band routers resolve the issue of slower connection speed at your home, due to increase in devices.
- It improves the performance of your infrastructure.
- No interference in networks.
What’s in it for the gamers?
Gamers who use networks with multiple devices accessing at the same time and those who want to play wirelessly can choose dual-band modem as their best solution.
- The gamers will have benefits from the 5 GHz. It is a dedicated Wi-Fi network for gaming.
- With the enhancement in the performance of your network, your gaming will be as smooth as it can get.
- The high-definition content will make your gaming experience better and beautiful.
- Zero halts at speed will result in no interruption during the playing.
Note: Before getting a dual-band router, check whether your devices supports 5 GHz connections. Otherwise, it’s ‘money in the drain scenario’.
What is a Tri-Band Router?
As the name suggests, a tri-band router broadcasts three different signals. It is different from single-band and dual-band modems in the following way:
Single-band router transmits one single signal at a time.
Dual-band router broadcasts two different signals at the same time.
What it really does is, it broadcasts three separate signals, one being 2.4 GHz and the rest two being 5 GHz signals, separately.
Tri-Band routers host three different Wi-Fi signals at the same time.
What’s in it for the buyers?
Not everyone is a gamer. So why would you need a Tri-band router? For the same reason, you needed a Dual-Band router. The Tri-band router allows more devices to get connected with a network.
Note: Understand that a Tri-band will not increase the connectivity speed of the device that you are using. It helps other new devices to get a good speed that gets connected to the network.
What’s in it for the gamers?
The tri-band will prevent networks and devices from interfering with each other. Do understand that it will not increase the speed of your Wi-Fi as such. But yes, it will let you have a great experience with high-definition video contents. Your online experience will not get jammed even if someone else in your house is playing online games.
Again, you will have to check whether your devices are compatible with 5 GHz connections.
Note: Get a tri-band only if you have a faster internet connection and there are multiple devices present to utilise the Wi-Fi.
What is Trend Micro?
Technology has made our lives so much faster and better. It offers shortcuts and quick solutions so that we don’t have to make much effort. One of the most prominent gifts of technology is Internet. The Internet is a vast and limitless platform with very less or no boundaries to hold back the users from performing any sort of activity. With less or no boundaries, of course, there will loophole on certain points in it, and there will be hackers ready to attack the system you are using, the data on it and even your profile. When there is a threat to your privacy and the data you use to work on the internet, this is called cyber threat or cyber crime.
To protect you from further cybercrimes, Trend Micro steps in.
Trend Micro is a global security Software Company that keeps your data and files away from the reach of hackers. It develops software for servers, small businesses, medium businesses and enterprise companies. It uses up-to-the-second threat intelligence so that it can immediately identify and stop the cyber threat or attack before it gets any closer to you. Its Smart Protection Network secures the customers and helps them avoid situations which are concerned with online threats.
Trend Micro’s ever upgrading technologies allows the users to log into an open network and keep their username and passwords safe. This prevents one user from logging into another user’s account and downloading the complete version of the game. The company has further made allies with law enforcement powers so that they can help eradicate cybercrimes. It further educates people as to how they can use the internet safely and adequately. Their unique program ‘Internet Safety for Kids and Families’ educates the people, young and adults, about the online risks. It further highlights how children are more prone to getting involved in cybercrime as a victim or the one who is violating the laws of cyber media.
The company works in a very systematic way by first addressing the issue, conducting research on the concerned issue, analysing the threat and then coming up with the product that will help protect internet users from the identified threat. Note that Trend Micro focuses on other devices apart from your computers, such as mobiles, tablets, laptops, etc. Hence, it keeps all the devices safe from the cyber threats.
Approximately 250 million cyber threats are blocked on a daily basis. Trend Micro sports one of the largest cloud-based protection infrastructures which heavily contribute to the protection of millions of individuals and businesses from the cyber crimes. The company’s threat defence experts prevent the threats from reaching you by collecting data, identifying the threats and protecting your data; all this happening in a matter of seconds. What makes Trend Micro the best protector is their forever evolving techniques and methods which get better time after time with each threat.
Furthermore, it also educates and helps people understand how they can protect themselves from all those cyber threats lurking on the internet as well as how they can safeguard their devices and systems from malware which can cause harm to the data they have stored on them.
Reviews to Suit You
A good modem can make a lot of difference to the way you play games. You can enjoy a seamless, responsive and a stable gaming experience that results in better performance overall. Thus, it becomes very crucial to pick the right modem for your gaming rig. The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem can be a good choice if you’re planning to set up a new gaming rig or updating an existing one. It works on 5 GHz bandwidth and is quite a reliable piece of machine that boasts of top quality hardware and great Wi-Fi speeds; allowing for a better and smooth gameplay. When it comes to the design, the Nighthawk is more compact as compared to its predecessor, and looks quite good. The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 features one Gigabit WAN port, four Gigabit LAN ports, and a couple of USB ports on the back, while the LED indicators occupy the top. The Nighthawk can offer Wi-Fi connectivity on 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz simultaneously, which is an added benefit. It runs on a dual-core 1,000 Mhz processor and built to work with the latest Wi-Fi standards. With a top speed up to 1,300 Mbps on the 5Ghz and around 600Mbps on the 2.4Ghz, this can be a great addition to your gaming rig. A top choice gaming that you can go for!
If you’re a hardcore gamer, you need to have a gaming rig that includes the very best of equipment. And without a good gaming modem, you cannot enjoy a responsive, lag-free gaming experience. The ASUS RT-AC5300 modem can be a good choice if you’re looking for a top quality product and are willing to spend a few extra bucks for the same. Having dimensions that stretch to over 29 cm square and 17 cm in height, this is one of the bulkiest consumer-grade routers on offer in the market. The build is sturdy and the design stylish, making it a fine addition to any gaming rig. A really cool feature of this router is that you can flip over the antennas and use it as support for the modem on which it can stand – making it look like a giant spider. The router features four Gigabit Ethernet ports on this machine and two USB ports. The setup is quite detailed and will take a bit of your time, but it is truly worth the effort, for the performance it offers, is truly amazing. You can get a stable, responsive and lag-free gaming experience with this gaming router. A premium choice, it is definitely worth the money!
A router is a critical part of your gaming rig because no matter how amazing the other equipment are if the connection isn’t seamless, you will continue to face lags that result in the poor gaming experience. The D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi DIR-890L/R can be a right choice for your gaming rig, as it offers top-quality Wi-Fi connectivity and awesome network storage speeds for an excellent gaming performance. It is easily the most stylish gaming modem out there, and with it not only looks good but gives quite a stable Wi-Fi signal. You can also use it as a network storage server when you’re using an external hard drive, making it a really handy machine to own. The range it offers is quite good, though not the best and is ideal for people who live in a medium sized house where you can use it for your gaming and other requirements. This D-Link gaming router is powered by a Broadcom dual-core 1GHz processor that performs really well. The setup is quite easy, as it comes with a pre-configured password and username to make your job much easier. Overall, this router is an excellent value for money product!